01-22-2014 07:48 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 1952

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2000 Buick Park Ave. won't start
sparkync Offline

2000 Buick Park Ave. won't start
I have a 2000 Buick Park Avenue. It's been running fine, with the exception my wife said it had a few "issues"?? But anyway, it's been running fine as far as I know, and went out Sunday Morning to crank it, and it just spins real fast like it's going to crank, then sputters a little like maybe a sparkplug or two loose, then spins real fast again, but won't crank. Our gas gage sometimes acts up, so I thought maybe it was out of gas, so I go get 5 gallons of gas and try to put it in, but it would not take it all, so I know it's not out of gas. My experience is very limited when it comes to the newer cars, so I really don't know where to start. I can't really afford to take it to someone now, anyhow they would have to bring a wrecker to haul it off. Any suggestions where I might start? I'm an electrician by trade, so I'm pretty mechanically minded. Thanks for any help...
01-26-2009 03:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
crank.it Offline

Re: 2000 Buick Park Ave. won't start
hi sparky-no compression or spinning fast could be a timing chain issue.....crank.it

ST.MORGAN
02-02-2009 09:29 AM
jgate Offline

I had a 2000 Lesabre with a 3.8 that had the same problem, turned out the problem was, the damper valve in the fuel pump,
The pump primed but would not hold the pressure through the start mode, pressure dropped to 0 psi, but after a few seconds the pump would prime to 45 psi, just enough to give all cylinders enough fuel to cause a stutter in the start mode before it runs out of fuel.
This engine also runs the pump through the oil pressure switch, a bad switch will shut down the pump. Install a fuel pressure gage, and watch the gage through the start mode.should hold at around at least 40 pis.Pressure could be to low or to high due to a bad pressure regulator, bad ECT, dirty MAF, or a bad MAP sensor. then again,.........................During crank, the ignition control module monitors the CKP sync signal. The CKP sync signal is used to determine the correct cylinder pair to fire first. The CKP sync signal is used only by the ignition control module to initiate ignition coil firing sequence. It is not passed to the PCM. After the ignition control module processes the CKP sync signal, the ignition control module monitors the CKP signal and sends 18X and 3X reference pulses to the PCM. When the PCM receives these pulses, the PCM will command all six injectors to allow a priming shot of fuel for all the cylinders. After the priming, the injectors are left OFF during the next six 3X reference pulses from the ignition control module. This allows each cylinder a chance to use the fuel from the priming shot. During this waiting period, the PCM receives a camshaft position signal pulse. The camshaft position signal allows the PCM to operate the injectors sequentially based on camshaft position. If the camshaft position signal is not present at start-up, the PCM will begin sequential fuel delivery with a 1 in 6 chance that fuel delivery is correct.
An intermittent may be caused by a poor connection, rubbed through wire insulation or a wire broken inside the insulation.
Poor connection or damaged harness. Inspect the PCM harness and connectors for improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal to wire connection, and damaged harness.
Faulty engine coolant temperature sensor. Using a scan tool, compare engine coolant temperature with intake air temperature on a completely cool engine. Engine coolant temperature should be within 10°C of intake air temperature. If not, replace the ECT sensor. If the 18X CKP signal to the ICM is not present, there will be no RPM, spark, or fuel injector pulses. Ensures that the ICM has the proper voltage supply and ground. Verifies that the ICM is supplying the proper sensor feed voltage. Check for the proper operation of the CKP Sync signal, ICM and related spark system components. Without the CKP Sync signal the ICM is unable to properly sequence the ignition coils. If the 18X and CKP Sync signals to the PCM or the 18X and 3X reference signals to the ICM short together the vehicle will not start and run. However, there will be spark and fuel injector pulses.
You can get these values from running a scan toll, in the data mode.
02-14-2009 01:02 PM
sparkync Offline

Thanks for the reply. It seems that all that was wrong was a clogged up fuel filter. Just before I was to take it to a mechanic, I had a friend that wanted to try to replace the fuel filter. When he took it off he said they're was a lot of black stuff in it. He replaced it, and it has been running fine. Thanks anyway for you help..
02-14-2009 02:39 PM