06-09-2014 10:08 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 754

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Changing oil on a 2002 Chevy Cavalier
Unregistered

Changing oil on a 2002 Chevy Cavalier
I want to change my own oil on my 2002 Chevy Cavalier. My boyfriend has attempted it once and it was very difficult to get to the oil filter. What is the easiet way?
10-14-2003 05:32 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Master Tech Dude Offline

oil change
It might be easiest to let the boyfriend do it again...I don't know. Some oil filters are a real pain to get to, as well as not having the right oil filter wrench to get it off. If it's your first time trying to do it, you might see if one of the parts salespersons at your local AutoZone or other store will take a minute to show you what to do, plus you can get the style of wrench for the filter while your there. Heck, I've even let Wal-Mart change my car's oil just so I didn't have to worry with it. I do enough of them all year long to get my fill.
Dude
10-14-2003 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tac Offline
Administrator

Re: Changing oil on a 2002 Chevy Cavalier
cargirl29 Wrote:I want to change my own oil on my 2002 Chevy Cavalier. My boyfriend has attempted it once and it was very difficult to get to the oil filter. What is the easiet way?

You might want to take a look at the different oil filter wrenches available. There are 3 different kinds that I have seen, each working best in different situations:

The first is the old-fashioned loop with a handle. You slip the loop over the oil filter, and as you turn it with the handle it tightens against the oil filter and lets you loosen it. This is the cheapest, and works great when you have room to maneuver to the side of the oil filter (especially older style rear-wheel drive cars)

The second is a variation on the first. There is still a loop, but instead of a handle, there is a place for you to insert a 3/8" socket wrench drive. YOu put a 4 or 6 inch socket drive extention into it, then slide it over the oil filter. YOu then use your socket wrench to loosen the oil filter from the top. This works great when there is no room on the side.

The last is a "Cap" that fits over the end of the oil filter with indentations that match the finger-grips on the end of the oil filter. There is no band, it relies upon the indentations of the cap fitting onto the end of the oil filter well. You also use a socket wrench with this one.

My favorite is style 2. Style one is hard to get any leverage with in most newer cars. Style 3 has a tendency to slip and invoke multiple 4 letter words. Style 2 tightens up nicely and still works in tight quarters.

When putting on the new filter, always remember to fill it with oil first, and put a LIGHT coating of oil on the rubber gasket around the fitting. Hand-tighten only - otherwise you risk twisting that gasket and causing it to leak. More importantly, you at least have a fighting chance of getting it off again for the next change.

TAC
10-15-2003 08:30 AM
shadetree Offline

oil filter
Hey everyone,
I am not sure but have seen on some of the newer Cavaliers with the 2.2 liters that use a cartriage filter.If you can't find a regular filter then look in the front top drivers side of the engine for a black plastic cap with a molded nut for a wrench. It screws off with the cartriage just snap the old cartriage off and snap the new one on and replace and good to go.
Hope this helps...Shade :wink:

If it's got wheels it's gonna give ya trouble!
So let us know.
[Image: 2.gif]
10-15-2003 01:12 PM