04-23-2014 04:01 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 781

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1997 CHEVY CAVALIER SMELL GAS/EXHAUST FUMES IN CAR WHEN STOP
Unregistered

1997 CHEVY CAVALIER SMELL GAS/EXHAUST FUMES IN CAR WHEN STOP
I HAVE A PROBLEM... I HAVE A 1997 CHEVY CAVALIER AND ABOUT 6 MTHS AGO MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON, I TOOK CAR TO MY MECHANIC AND HE RAN THE CODE AND SAID IT WAS THE CATALYTIC CONVERTOR. I TOOK THE CAR TO THE SHOP THAT HAD JUST REPLACED THE CATALYTIC CONVERTOR, THEY SAID THE CONVERTOR WAS FINE. THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WENT OFF AND THIS WEEK IT CAME BACK ON BUT THIS TIME I SMELL GAS OR EXHAUST FUMES IN MY CAR WHEN I STOP AT REDLIGHTS OR STOP SIGNS. ANY SUGGESTIONS???? THANKS FOR HELPING A LADY IN LOUISIANA........ Tongue
03-23-2004 02:27 PM
Quote this message in a reply
FIREDOG Offline

It sounds like the convertor may not have been fitted back on correctly or there may be a hole in the exhaust system, either way this is a very dangerous condition. You need to have it repaired immediately.
I would either take it back to the shop that did the original work or find a quality muffler/exhaust repair shop.

I can fix a whole lot of stuff............I can tear up even more!
03-23-2004 05:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BOB V Offline

If u can get a cool morning start the car and look underneath along the exhaust and see if there is any white smoke coming out of any holes or breaks. u know the smoke that comes out the tail pipe on a cold morning, well this will also come out wherever a leak is occuring. This is a good way to find a leak, take ur time and look closely.
03-23-2004 05:57 PM
tac Offline
Administrator

If it were my car, I would go to the original shop that replaced the catalytic converter and tell them that either they can find the leak and fix it with no hard feelings, or my other mechanic can find it and document it for my lawyers who might file an unlawful endangerment / negligence suit.

Even if the leak is not in the Converter connections, any mechanic who works on an exhaust system should do an engine to tailpipe inspection when they are done to be sure their removal and re-installation of parts did not loosen or break any other part of the system, including parts that may have already been rusted. So, even if the leak is from the manifold by the engine, it is likely that the removal and re-installation of the converter is behind it in some way. Granted, it's a bit hard to prove in a court of law, but still, any Midas or similar shop is supposed to check for weakened parts when they do this sort of repair, and inform the owner of their options.
03-24-2004 09:50 AM
shadetree Offline

Just my 2 cents, your car is kinda new for the cat to be going bad so quick and since the light came back on after the new one was put on I would think that something else is wrong that is causing that cat to burn out.
Probably too much fuel since you are smelling gas along with exhaust.

Take it back and have them check everything(exhaust and fuel pressure,injectors and the whole fuel delivery system).

Shade 8)

Let us know what you find out.

If it's got wheels it's gonna give ya trouble!
So let us know.
[Image: 2.gif]
03-24-2004 11:09 AM